Monday, October 12, 2009

so why India? (part #1)

It was the last week of the summer of 1970. I was 18 years old and had just come off one very active summer that included working at two Christian camps and a school trip to Japan. Now I was the camper, college & Careers Camp at Mini-yo-we on Mary Lake. The speaker for the week was a young student from Ontario Bible College - Revi Zacharias. Ravi was born in Madras, India, and came to faith in Christ at the age of 17 after a failed suicide attempt. A 1966 move to Canada with his family enabled him to study at OBC (now Tyndale University and Seminary) allowed our lives to intersect for one brief week.

There we were, about 100 young people, listening to the most inspiring Bible preaching that I had ever heard in my short life. To the best of my recollection, Ravi spoke on Romans 1:1 "Paul, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, seperated to the gospel of God." The call was clear. God was looking for some of us to commit 100 % to serving the Lord, to dedicate our lives fully to following and living for Christ. So I responded. My life took on a new focus. And a long journey of ministry, begun then, continues to this day. And it was a young 24 year old from India who was instrumental in making the adventure happen.

So now I get to make my first trip to the land that birthed the servant of Christ who in a way helped birth this servant of Christ.

By the way, Ravi went on to become a world leader in the field of evangelism and apologetics. You can read about him here and you can view his ministry website here

No comments:

Post a Comment