Monday, October 26, 2009

in the classroom










Monday Oct 26 2009 Noon
New Theological Seminary, North India

Another normal beautiful day: around 80 degrees F - in the sun, clear blue skies. I am sitting at my guest room desk with the door open to the screen door, the large balcony to my right. The sun has not reached this side of the building yet, but in a few hours I will have to close the door to keep the heat out. This is winter so the air conditioning is off. A number of students and staff were wearing shirts and sweaters.! I would be in shorts if the culture permitted that. These mountain valleys cool nicely at night. But it is not a total paradise – more on that in future posts.

..... teaching a class

This morning I was invited to teach the second year Bachelor of Divinity class, 16 students, men and women. They were here from various parts of the country. What a joy it was. Class instruction is in english. We had some dialogue about the challenges to doing ministry in India as compared to North America. We discussed the struggles of pastoral ministry and how to utilize resources which allow God to refresh and strengthen us. I spoke from my years of experience, illustrating how resistance to Kingdom of God work comes as much from 'within' the community of faith as it does form 'without', the secular culture in NA and the very religious culture of the hindu north.

I shouldn't be surprised, but it still amazes me, when I witness the respect and responsibility shown by the students. Today is the start of a new semester, so our classroom had not been used after a 5 day break: students quickly moved chairs, dusted off the teachers desk, made sure the whiteboard was clean, picked up small pieces of dust and trash off the floor before I entered the room. And those arriving late, asked permission to enter the classroom. Somehow I can't see that happening in a Canadain University!

My students all believe God has called them to ministry, and they are praying for clear direction for when they graduate. They conveyed inspirational passion and expectation. I was blessed.

As I type I can hear a lecture in theology taking place. There are classes in Christian Education, music, Bible, Missions – and of course Philosophy, which Jim teaches.

The school gathers at 8 am for a 30 minute chapel. Students led the prayer & praise time, and Jim was today's preacher. I want you to note that this was the 5th sermon the students have heard in less than 24 hours! And they 'thirst for more'! Two class periods, each 50 minutes long follow chapel. Then it is time for 'chai'. The entire school gathers for 10 minutes: a cup of chai tea in small metal cups (black tea in china cups is offered for guests like me) and announcements. Then three more class periods. If I understand correctly, afternoon is usually study time and late afternoon is sports time. Because Jim is here only for 3 weeks, his classes will have to have extra afternoon instruction time.


I am not sure what the rest of the week will hold, but I know it will not be boring!

No comments:

Post a Comment