Saturday, October 10, 2009

the primacy of The Word

Jonathan Edwards and The Ministry of The Word, Douglas A. Sweeney

* how schoolboys have changed!!! (p. 35) in Edwards' own words from his PERSONAL NARRATIVE: "I used to pray five times a day in secret, and to spend much time in religious talk with other boys, and used to meet with them to pray together.... it was my delight to abound in religious duties. I, with some of my schoolmates joined together, and built a booth in a swamp, in a very secret and retired place, for a place of prayer. and besides, I had particular secret places of my own in the woods, where i used to retire by myself... I seemed to be in my element when engaged in religious duties."

* P. 41 again, from his PERSONAL NARRATIVE The Pivotal Verse that Changed J. Edwards' Life?
1 Timothy 1:17 "Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen."

* a look at his life will cause us to ask these questions about our own setting:(p.31)
1. What can we do in our world to draw attention to The Word?
2. What can be done to encourage Christians to pay attention to the divine, thinking Biblically, theologically, about their daily lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment